www.hutchsmotorbikeforum.co.uk
Hi and welcome to our Motorbike forum , Please take time to read our "Rules , Information & discounts for users" section , Hope you enjoy your stay and tell all your biker friends

hutchsmotorbikeforum

This is a motorbike forum,and all are welcome

our facebook page (please click the link below)
hutchsmotorbikeforum face book page
Follow us on Twitter
Make a donation to help with the running of our forum

Latest topics

» Riding like a nob
by Chadatious Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:20 pm

» Closing down on the 25th June !!! UPDATE ! now continuing running the forum !
by Chadatious Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:18 pm

» Hello everyone.......
by Davehutch Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:25 am

» Hi Everyone.!!
by canuck7 Sun May 28, 2017 12:31 pm

» Happy Birthday Stan
by Davehutch Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 pm

» Triumph launch night
by smilinjack Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:26 pm

» Haven't forgotten ....
by Chadatious Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:10 pm

» This guy looks close to a spammer
by Chadatious Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm

» 2017 calendars
by madcarper Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Top posters
Davehutch (13744)

dick65 (11566)

Stue11 (10225)

Chadatious (9410)

lee (5579)

BanditMike (4061)

madsod (4042)

XS1100 (3976)

stantheman (3839)

fr499y (3336)

Top posting users this week

Most active topic starters
Davehutch

XS1100

Chadatious

Stue11

madsod

dick65

Oldfart

smilinjack

lee

fr499y

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 any techy boffins out here on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:53 pm

obalanga

I bought a laptop a 3-4 years ago. It was future proof what ever that actually means. It has 500gb hard drive that is taking longer and longer to boot up. Is it feasible to buy a 1 tb hard drive and have it mirrored to make it easier transferring my work, music, bookmarks, passwords etc? Will any viruses or malware be transferred as well? can I also amp up the ram there by increasing performance?

2 Re: any techy boffins out here on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Chadatious

matthew!!!!

3 Re: any techy boffins out here on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:38 pm

madcarper

no tech is future proof that's feckin impossible unless its come from the future, feckin salesmen will tell you owt to get a sale just buy a new laptop they're pretty cheap now and better than that old fossil you still using. 500gb is useless.

4 Re: any techy boffins out here on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:25 pm

dick65

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:no tech is future proof that's feckin impossible unless its come from the future, feckin salesmen will tell you owt to get a sale just buy a new laptop they're pretty cheap now and better than that old fossil you still using. 500gb is useless.

tell it like it is m8 fofl fofl

http://bazzarpixie.co.uk/tops.html

5 Re: any techy boffins out here on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:39 pm

gravelrash

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:no tech is future proof that's feckin impossible unless its come from the future, feckin salesmen will tell you owt to get a sale just buy a new laptop they're pretty cheap now and better than that old fossil you still using. 500gb is useless.

tell it like it is m8 fofl fofl

Always get a straight answer from Ian.....no prisoners taken! fofl

6 Re: any techy boffins out here on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Macie_UK

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote: Is it feasible to buy a 1 tb hard drive and have it mirrored

As in install a new drive to replace your existing one?  Yes, you can.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote: Will any viruses or malware be transferred as well?

Yes.  Only way around that is to fit new drive and do a fresh install.  I'm guessing this is Windows?
Or you could dump all your docs / pics etc to an external HDD, and do a clean install on your existing drive.  Some laptops (Dell, Acer for example) often don't come with an OS disc, but have it installed as an extra partition (usually D:) and if this is the case you can often do an easy reinstall from that.  Obviously this means that all the OS updates will need to be done, and you'll have the pain of removing all the pre installed bloatware....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote: can I also up the ram there by increasing performance?

If you have available slots or capacity. Check with:

Kingston

Crucial Checker

Unless your HDD is nearly full, it's more likely that the CPU, GPU, or RAM is a bigger bottleneck than the read/write speed of the hard drive.
And 500GB is huuuuuuge  :-)

7 Re: any techy boffins out here on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:19 am

obalanga

comprehensive, I just have alot of crap on the laptop that I hang on to. Will try a clear out first
thanks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum